Monday, January 21, 2013

Come fly with me we'll fly we'll fly away. . .



As I started to make plans to get us all (spouse and cat, bag and baggage) to Florida, I kept hitting bump after bump. Our house to Lansing, Michigan, then Lansing to Orlando (one of the world's busiest airports) then rental car to Venice, a 3 hour drive. And only 2 days a week, so if one day was snowed out we would have to wait three days. OR bus to Detroit, then to Sarasota, then drive to Venice, about an hour. OR fly to Detroit. And airplanes are not too thrilled about animals on board; we had a hard time booking any cheap seats. Plus car rentals are up to $250 a month more expensive when you pick them up at airports. Cats have to have vet certificates and must be under the seat. And even more hassles I will not bore you with. I was not going to drag a sick husband and freaked-out cat and luggage through strange and chaotic airports with the chance of getting stuck somewhere due to snow.

On a hunch I called this guy that operates a small charter service and sure enough lots of people fly from Michigan to Florida and he flies them. In a group it is not much more expensive than commercial, plus no groping airport inspectors, the ability to hold Honey on our laps (as long as she is leashed), and right from a small town near here straight to Venice. Talked to the pilot just today. All systems are go. The plane is bigger than the one above, by the way. If it snows, we just take off when the weather is good. This outfit flies all over and has a good reputation.

OMG I hope this works out.

14 comments:

  1. Sunny, Ladybug, Mew and I are rooting for you all! Brilliant! I hope the charter works out and the weather cooperates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a plan. I hope it works out. I much prefer flying in smaller aircraft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your tenacity. You are creating a much more tolerable experience for you all! This is so inspiring♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is all so scary and expensive!!! Thank you all !!!!! I will take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was an inspired idea!! Sounds like it'll avoid much of the annoyance and inconvenience of commercial air travel. When are you planning on going? Are you going for your usual length of time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weather permitting (and this has been a mild winter for us) we are leaving Feb 1 and coming back March 30.

      The last time I flew I was stuck in O'Hare airport in Chicago for almost 18 hours waiting for a connection. It was hell.

      Delete
    2. What made you decide to take Honey this time? Is your cat-sitter not available this time?

      Delete
  6. Holding thumbs for you , all goes well. Sounds exciting, don't forget to take some photographs for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope everything goes well. Maybe you're in Florida by now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see you're still in Michigan. Good luck when you do go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup, still in Michigan. We lost our cat sitter, but it was always hard to be separated from Honey for 2 months, worried about her health, how she would meow for us by the garage door for a day or two, other stuff. So she should sleep during the flight and hopefully adjust to her new home quickly. I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic plan, Benni! I bet all will go well...pls don't forget your camera...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea. Good luck, and have a great time in the warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete