Monday, February 4, 2013

Honey the cat goes to Florida

Accompanied by her faithful humans. . .


It was very cold when we left Michigan, everything covered in snow. My nerves were not eased by the fact that that morning on the news the apartment complex where our housesitter lives had been engulfed in flames overnight. I was worried about my housesitter and couldn't reach her to see if she was ok. Eventually I did and she was fine.



Honey sat on my lap and the pilot gave her a friendly scratch. She was calmer than I expected and I did not even give her the sedative my vet had prescribed.




It was a long time but a short time and we were flying over the beach I call my own. I'm having a hard time describing how I felt recognizing familiar places from the air. I was close to crying.

The rest of that day and the next was not so joyous. Renting a car and being introduced to Florida's bizarre "no fault" insurance laws which, apparently, require no one to have auto insurance and make you responsible for their damage even if they cause the crash. 
Then we discovered we had no internet, although I have to say the rental agency reps worked with us patiently until at last (and thank you Angie at Comcast) we were hooked up.




Then, finally, we were in Florida. Florida which is like a warm and loving mother with lemon scented arms. The air is silk, the birds are everywhere, and I found my orchid which I left behind last year in the same spot, a bit neglected, but with a bud. It could bloom again. I would be ecstatic. I also found some fresh catnip at Lowe's and planted it for Honey.

Walking into the produce department at the store, I was in tears again. There are so many scents: tomatoes, peppers, melons, coconut, roses, limes. I have never been in a produce department in Michigan that smells so good. 
And Key lime pie.

 

On one of these days, we stopped at the Venice Beach for a hot dog. . . 




And I dipped my feet in the ocean.

Thank you for reading, you are very kind.  I am lucky beyond description to be able to do this, and owe many people, not the least of whom is Tom's mother, who showed us the way.

19 comments:

  1. This blog made me sniffle and tear up :) I am so happy that Honey and her faithful humans have journeyed to this place that refreshes their spirits :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a wonderful way to put it. A place that refreshes our spirits. ♡

      Delete
  2. Loved this and was very surprised to see that Honey was able to be in the cabin with you during your flight...I thought all animals had to go into cargo area. Hugs,Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary! Yes, we were lucky to fly this way with her on our laps. I am glad you liked the tale. Hugs back. :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I think I said this last year, but there is a fantastic dog beach there. All the dogs come and get to play around off the leash. You would love it.

      Delete
  4. I am a firm believer in a Heart's home. Obviously this is one of yours...so glad you are able to return to it. I feel a similar feeling when I drive through the canyon toward the ocean. When I come round that last curve and there it is- all tension drains out of my feet and I am home again:) Mermaids are like that:) Looking forward to more stories of your stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of my Heart's Homes. My mind lies down in rest when I am there. Here.

      Delete
  5. I, too, teared up while reading this. How wonderful. And key lime pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Key lime pie, and not overly sweet. Kinda tart. I keep looking for flamingos but I think we are too far north for them.

      Delete
  6. Love your description, Benni! Good to know that lady was not affected by the fire... I'm sure your lovely cat enjoyed the flight on your lap... how good for you to have found your orchid still alive... enjoy every second of your stay...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Finding that orchid was an almost miraculous thing.

      Delete
  7. Glad you reached your winter retreat safely :-)) Seems like Honey is a natural flyer!! Must have been a relief to get past the mundane things like car hire and arranging internet connection and start some serious relaxing!! Have a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mundane stuff is really a pain in the neck. But I 'm so glad it's over so I can take more pictures.

      Delete
  8. Glad you made it and that your housesitter is okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, the housesitter thing was a bit upsetting. She is a charming girl.

      Delete
  9. so happy to hear, your holiday plans all got together at last and you are safely there with Honey too. Do enjoy, refresh yourselves and just relax knowing at least your house is also well looked after. Big Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Marianne! All the planning has paid off and we are really enjoying the warm weather (5ºF/-15ºC at home). I think I will spend some time at the beach this afternoon - or take a nap? Or nap at the beach? Have to be careful of sunburn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you got there safely and hope by now you are all, including Honey, are settled in and chilled out! :)

    ReplyDelete