Friday, February 15, 2013

A Walk on Manasota Key


Manasota Key is a barrier island 7 miles long and, in places, less than half a mile wide. It is jungly but more desert than rain forest due to the sand. The northern tip is developed, but the southern part is fairly wild and perfect for a weekend walk. 


Palm trees die and lie in the sand and new growth sprouts up.


I don't know if you can see this little crab which is heading toward the seaweed for a meal.


A pen shell.


I liked this yellow shell. The sand is dark due to ground fossils - old bones of animals who lived here when this area was a savannah. Later it was reclaimed by the sea and so we have many whale bones and fossilized shark teeth here.


A place to stop for lunch.


This lady is showing one way to look for shark teeth, which is to scoop up sand and shells and shake the scoop until you find teeth.


Or, you can just look in piles of shells. Can you see the tooth here? It is grey and pointing down.


I found this hole in one of the rocks on the shore. The rocks are brought in to prevent shore erosion. I took about 25 pics to try and get this one the way I wanted, but I just couldn't. If you look through the hole, you can see the ocean. Sometimes waves come through.


Some people capture the beauty of this place by painting. I think this woman is doing a nice job. 




Thank you for walking with me. 

10 comments:

  1. Glad to see that you are enjoying yourself :) Hugs Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. My feet are craving warm earth. I love the warmth of your Florida blogs. I need them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great place to just walk, relax and take some photos :-)) Love that shot of the little crab scuttling along. I'd love to wander along there looking for shark teeth and fossils!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and I love all the colors, Benni

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved that walk:) I heard the ocean, felt the crunch of the fossily sand under my feet, delighted in the scurry of the crab going toward the seaweed and crouched down with you just so to see the waves through that hole in the rock. Wonderful spot you have to explore. Keep inviting me along, please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really loved the walk together with you, Benni! Nice shots... I would do the same as that lady even if the result would not be as good as hers... What a great variety of shells ... interesting that shark tooth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely to wake up to such kind comments. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete