Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Red tide and the Tub of Death


Florida seems to have more things than Michigan that are hostile to people. Take Spider Drop Park. That's not its real name but it is the name I have given it since there is a sign in this small park that says "Warning: spiders in trees". I was going to explore that park but as soon as I saw that sign, I was persuaded not to. I assume all trees have spiders, so if the trees in that park have so many spiders that it merits a sign, that's enough for me. Worse than Leech Lake, which is a lake in Minnesota.

Then there is whatever bit me today 3 times on the foot and I didn't even get to squash it because I didn't see it.

Then there is the Red Tide, also and more correctly known as an "algal bloom", which is not like a flower, but a naturally occurring mass of algae in the warm water of the Gulf of Mexico. This fall, apparently, it was bad, and killed off a bunch of fish, leaving the local papers to print - not a word, not a single word. At least not that we read, and Tom has taken to reading the papers down here online when we are in Michigan. 

The Red Tide has dissipated, mostly, the water is not red, there is no smell and no dead fish, but there is a certain irritant in the air that makes me cough a bit when I am at the beach. Actually there were a number of people coughing at the beach. It's not harmful unless you are a clam, and better than snow, but still.  


Finally, we have the aqua tub. I put myself in the picture because I am a little vain. It's a beautiful tub in a beautiful house but the bottom is very very slippery.  I figured that out after one shower and went and got one of those suction cup bathmats. That made it a bit better, but, a couple or three days ago, getting out of the tub, I hit the edge of the bathmat, dislodged it, slipped, and wrenched my back grabbing the hand-hold thing. So now my back hurts, not so bad that I can't go to the beach, but for a few days, bad enough that I couldn't put dishes in the dishwasher. And poor Tom had to do it.

So that's it, those of you that live in the South doubtless know of other dangerous things, like ticks, fleas, alligators, and Buford burgers.

31 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think it is one half pound of ground beef, cheese-y sauce, bacon, and other healthy things.

      Delete
  2. Blue green algael blooms are becoming more and more common as our lakes become more and more polluted. It scares the crap out of me, which is bad, as crap is a lot of the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently red blooms are "naturally occurring", but there is debate about whether man-made stuff, like fertilizer, is making the problem worse. So, yeah, crap.

      Delete
  3. Keep the ticks and fleas but I take a chance on a Buford Burger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love it. Your sidekick - maybe not so much. People who are into healthy eating shouldn't stop at little take-outs in the South.

      Delete
  4. Whoops. Pretend there's a 'll in that comment. Why don't they have an edit thingie in here?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geezzz it all sounds horrible...I hope things get better for you real soon. Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm kinda poking fun at stuff, Mary, it's much better than all that.

      Delete
  6. You are having one adventure after another... You look cute in your pic! That smile tells me your attitude ain't half bad:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I have adventures in Michigan too, but the ones down here are more fun.

      Delete
  7. I suspect you should not put dishes in the dishwasher the entire trip just to be on the safe side.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spiders ... leeches ... eeeeekkkk!!!!!

    I'd try a Buford burger... but I'd probably have to split it with someone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tell Tom the dishwasher bending is slimming for his waistline after consuming the Buford burger...and that he needs to do this exercise often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any more Key lime pie and I am going to need slimming.

      Delete
  10. Sorry to hear about your knee and back. Take it easy and rest up a bit. I'm with you about the spiders, there must be be a lot for them to put up a notice,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, really. And possibly poisonous ones. I just avoid the place completely.

      Delete
  11. Take enough rest and you will feel fine, soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, making plans to head to the beach soon. : )

      Delete
  12. Once upon a time, on a hiking trip back in school, I got a tick on my neck. Didn't discover it until I got back home three days later...and several hundred kilometres away from where I picked it up. And it was still sucking on me.

    Some tick.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Arachnids are not all that worrisome to me, so I guess it wouldn't put me off exploring there, I'd just be a little more careful !! The algal bloom doesn't sound very pleasant. As for the 'Tub of Death', it makes one wish the humans came equipped with non-slip feet!! LOL.

    Never seen a Buford Burger, but your description makes me want to try one!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't another hazard 9 year old pensioners driving withoit their glasses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so totally. That could be a series of blogs.

      Delete
  15. When I redocorate my flat, I'm only going to have a shower unit and no bathtub. Maybe you could just bathe in the sea and hope you don't ge bitten by a shark.

    ReplyDelete