Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Birds, beaches, blackberries

I've been busy


Plump blackberries were on sale today so I got a pint and took them to the beach. We've had a few busy days. This weekend, the owners of this lovely house came by and we got to meet them. They have been sailing and living on their boat for over 2 years. They have decided to sell the boat and live in this house, starting when we leave. I was happy for them, but sad for us. 

Right away I started to look for other houses for next year and quickly found that "pet friendly" in online realtor ads often does not mean "cat friendly". And people are booking already for 2015. Yikes. I got a little freaked out, but our trusty and wonderful agent, Janet, found us a house very near here and it is cat friendly. 



In the meantime Honey, the timid cat, has become bold. She found a place on the screened patio where the screen was loose and she was halfway out when I noticed her. You know in Florida there are few ground mammals and no outdoor cats if you live near any water. Our neighbors tell me there are at least 2 alligators that live in the inlet pond our houses are on. With every telling the alligators get bigger; now they are up to 16 feet with razor teeth and infrared vision. I think these gentlemen are pulling my leg a bit. Still, Honey would be a tasty treat for any alligator, so I scooped her up, and that was the end of that. Tom and I fixed the screen, but when she goes out with us, she'll be leashed.  

  


Today I did the shopping, signed papers for the next year's rental, got the recycle bins sorted, did the laundry and headed to the beach with my blackberries.  Took some pictures. The top picture is a flock of little birds and the bottom picture is pelicans perching in a tree. I never knew pelicans perched in trees.

I guess that is it except you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting someone from New York or New England taking a picture to "send to the kids back home". Or Ontario, lots of folks from Canada here. I'm tempted to take one of those pictures myself. 


14 comments:

  1. Must be a very cozy home that the owners want to nestle back into it. Glad for them that you are appreciating it do much. You'll leave good energy behind. In the meantime, your adventure is just beginning! Honeys too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! My adventure is just beginning. Honey has been told "no more adventures". And I am sure she listened.

      Delete
  2. Wow, fresh blackberries in February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't get fresh blackberries anytime in Michigan, except rarely at the farmers' market or if I find them wild in the woods.

      Delete
  3. I think I might like to carry around a pelican.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very big birds, Augie. Maybe start with a seagull.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear your holiday retreat will no longer be available. Glad you've already found a likely replacement. I hope it's every bit as nice as this one has been. Yes, seeing Pelicans up a tree IS rather odd !! Honey is probably wondering what all the fuss was about "alligators? pah!! I eats them for breakfast!!". LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - in her dreams.

      We tried the leash this morning and she hated it. But maybe she'll get used to it.

      Delete
  5. At least the sun is shining for us today and we have kind of a spring-like day. However, on Monday we had snow flurries. That's February for you! Glad you're enjoying your time in sunny Florida and the blackberries too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think in Kentucky they had snow. Glad you have some sun in Madrid.

      Delete
  6. Blackberries are my absolute favourite berry. I love the way you put words together. My mouth is watering for the berries and I can hear the beach sounds of birds and surf, and feel warm cat fur under my fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is raining today. That tends to bring out the snakes and spiders. I think I may stay in.

      Delete
  7. Good to know you could already find a place for next year. It seems you're having a great time over there. Great shots! Very unusual that photo of the pelicans perched on the tree...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Belita. Yes, isn't that odd, the pelicans perched in a tree? When one comes in, the whole branch wobbles and sways and the other pelicans squaw at the newcomer. Then peace returns.

      Delete