Wednesday, June 19, 2013

When somebody breaks your heart


I walk everyday for my health, my doctor tells me to, sometimes I take my camera, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I end up thinking of small moments that I have saved in my mind very clearly and sharply and I don't even know why.

When I was in the 7th and 8th grade I had a science teacher, his name was Ken Williams, that is his real name. He was a great teacher. This was one of the questions on his test (and you had to explain your answer):  is the Earth heavier, lighter, or about the same as it was when the dinosaurs were on earth? Ok, that sounds pretty simple, except we had just had a unit on how very heavy dinosaurs were and how big, the size of buildings and 1959 Cadillac Sedan DeVilles.  So it was a stumper for me until I gave it a bit of thought.

Not as much of a stumper though as when his friend, my math teacher, told us to (for extra credit) draw a triangle with two 90ยบ angles. I did not get that one.  No one did.  But at least we were thinking.

So anyway, back to the point of this blog. I was sick (as in I could convince my mother I was sick) a lot and missed a fair amount of school.  The moments of real learning and stimulation were far outnumbered by the hours of sheer tedium.  I would rather stay home and read.

One afternoon, sometime on a warm Indiana May day, I was staying after school to make up a test I had missed in Mr. Williams' class. I was the only kid in the room and was working away.  Mr. Williams had opened the windows and was watering his many carefully labeled plants. I guess he forgot I was there and he started to softly sing to himself.  This is the song, maybe some of you remember it. "I want to be around, to pick up the pieces, when somebody breaks your heart. Somebody twice as smart, as me..."

He had a great voice, that was a little surprising. It was silky and clear and carried the melody over the plants and desks, the chalk and papers. I stopped writing and just listened to him. And here I am now, 50 years later, and I can still hear that voice. Tony Bennett sang the song and Frank Sinatra, but nobody sang it as sweetly as Ken Williams did that day.

14 comments:

  1. What a beautiful memory.

    It's quite remarkable when something sparks a memory. Mine is usually a smell... a drift of a scent from a flower or something on the breeze. But every once in awhile it's a sound__or a song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely write Benni, I enjoyed reading. Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Years pass by but memories of the good moments in our lives never fade away...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so much. I love it when people like my stories. I don't know why I thought of this last night, maybe the quality of the light, but I did. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you haven't already published your stories, i really think you should. You can still hear your teacher singing and so can I.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Benni. A special little memory :-)) Memories like that are often triggered by an association to it..........a sound, a smell, even the quality of light.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Brenda and Mitchy. He was such a great guy. It's such a great memory, I was happy to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, that is so wonderful. We so rarely get to see the "human" side of our teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this reminds me of a special memory I have, what a lovely story you have shared, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Rei and Danette. It was a special moment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh. I am gonna look up that song. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful memory. I remember the Tony Bennett recording.

    ReplyDelete