Saturday, May 11, 2013

My Mom and the Tornado

 

I think one of the hardest things about being a mother are the choices you have to make when your children are in danger.


This is a picture from 1961, a few weeks before or after the tornado. I'm on the left, my brother Joe on the right, the baby in the middle. Actually she was a bit older than 2 but we called her the baby.  The tiger was the tiger.

And I look older than 11, so I'm not sure. Anyway. My brother and I went to the same school and walked home the same route with all the other baby boomer kids. But never together. How uncool would that have been?

That day the wind was kicking up and it was raining; nowadays kids are held at school while there is a storm or tornado watch or warning. But that day someone made the decision to let us out and we all walked home. It was no longer raining nor even windy. It was dead calm in fact. I was carrying a wooden checkerboard, can't remember why.  Everything was normal until I heard some screaming and looked back behind me.

None of us saw the twister, we never did. We just saw a huge black cloud. The tornado picked up the freshly tilled black midwest dirt and churned it around.  Just like that day turned to night, calm turned to chaos.

I don't know how my brother and I found each other. We grabbed hold and ran for home.  Part of our path went through "the woods" where the trees were slashing back and forth. When we came out of the woods, nothing looked familiar and the other kids were gone. The wind was still blowing and it was raining very hard. I looked at myself - I was black, covered in dirt. I thought an atomic bomb had gone off. We kept running. Like Hansel and Gretel lost in the woods, we held hands and kept running.

It was so dark. At home my Mom had a terrible choice. She could go out and search for us, but she'd have to take the baby out in the storm. Or she could leave the baby alone. Or she could huddle in the middle of the house and cry and pray. I don't know what must have been going through her mind.

When we saw the house, we recognized it. Outside of branches down it was there and unharmed. We ran through the door and my mother started screaming in agony and joy.  It was a cry I can still hear today, as she clutched us and said, "Are you ok?" "You're not hurt?" and "I love you, I love you". "I wanted to look for you." We said, "We're ok, we love you, Mom". We cried and hugged.

Eventually things quieted, both weather-wise and in the house. Tornadoes are fast moving storms and it was over with little harm done in our neighborhood. The sun even came out. My Dad came home and absurdly we went looking for the checkerboard and found it unscathed.

So Happy Mother's Day, Mom, wherever you are. You went through a lot of anguish that day and I am just realizing that. I'd like to think you are somewhere nice, maybe on a beach, with a glass of champagne. God knows you deserve it. I know you do.

26 comments:

  1. You so have a flair for writing. This is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are incredibly lucky to have made it through that w/o getting hurt, Benni. The tornadoes that used to come through eastern Colo. were fearsome...and then there was the one that lifted the roof right off the schoolhouse where we were all sitting in Bay City, Mich. I hate tornadoes. I get completely weirded when the sky turns green. And your mother must have been absolutely beside herself when she realized you were both out there in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tornadoes are so bizarre. We had just a few scratches. But, yes, my poor mom was beside herself. She had no car, she would have been on foot.

      Delete
  3. Wow! They really use to make quality toys back them.

    Great story. I am sure all parties involved were terrified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that checkerboard was pretty sturdy. Not one of those cardboard fold-in-half like nowadays. Glad you liked the story.

      Delete
  4. So very many words which we need to hear remain unspoken. I am so glad you had a mom who showed you her love and esteem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One great thing about my mom is that she was very demonstrative.

      Delete
  5. Wow, what an experience!! I don't know what would have been the worse feeling....the terror you and you brother felt running from the storm, or your mother's anguish at the choice she had to make and not knowing if you were ok or not......until you arrived home. Did you or your brother suffer any nightmares about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think definitely my Mom had it worse. I'm not sure why my brother and I had few lingering effects. Maybe because we had each other and made it home. Maybe because things were, to some extent, under our control. I don't know. I know my Mom did have nightmares and I think it is because she had to wait.

      Delete
  6. Your story reminds me of when I was in the first grade, walking home from school alone after a big rain. I had to cross a little footbridge to get home. I was so happy to see my mother there waitng to help me cross and I remember the water had come up and was almost overflowing. I don't remember being scared though, but I know my mom was because then she had to wait for my father to come home from work and then the water did get into our barn but not the house luckily for us. I was never frightened of walking home alone except when I came to a house whose owners always went to stay in Florida in the winter, like you. I had convinced myself that it was a haunted house and always ran past it! Ah, the imagination of children! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think parents can be more conscious of the dangers than kids. In terms of houses, ours is lit up like a Christmas tree with timers and a house watcher as well when we go away.

      Delete
  7. Isn't this just the right kind of example of the love parent's have in their hearts? How to choose? How to think? How to deal with the panic? Daily I surrender to the Powers that be to protect all of my grown children as I can no longer follow them through life or make decisions for them. Yet I have done my best. Look how wonderful you are Benni~ your mom did her best as well.

    Beautiful story, lovely message to your mom♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think we all, or most of us anyway, do the best we can as parents and children and people.

      Delete
  8. Benni, this is one of many wonderful memories you have, I'm sure, of your mother's love... It's so well and vividly written that I read it twice... wonderful tribute to your mother, Benni! In Portugal, we always celebrate Mother's Day on the 1st sunday of May. Happy Mother's Day to all Mothers who visit this page...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so honored by your praise. Thank you.

      Delete
  9. Loved reading this!! So glad you and your brother made it thru that awful experience alright. You know how bad I am afraid of those tornadoes. Happy Mother's Day to you also! Hugs from Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of your, Mary, when tornadoes are ripping through your state. I always pray you will be safe. I hope you had a great Mother's Day.

      Delete
  10. That was a wonderful write, Benni. Your choice of words are great and the suspense was there. Always difficult to be a mother and having to make a choice, wow, you cannot leave the baby alone, but her prayers got you and your brother safely through it and safely home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, I am glad you enjoyed it. I've always thought of this adventure from my point of view. It wasn't until yesterday or the day before when it occurred to me what my mother had endured.

      Delete
  11. my dear, you write like a pro. I would buy and read your books if you wrote any. Seriously.

    I have a blizzard story to go with your tornado. I'll try to remember to blog it someday, preferably in the winter, lol...

    We were lucky - though we were in a high tornado area, our house never got damaged and the one time one came close, we were in another town at a musical show with a horse-riding preacher.

    A small town near us called Fansler (Iowa) was destroyed by a tornado in the late 50s, then the area was flooded when a river was dammed to make Lake Panorama. (Panora, Iowa) One of the highlights of my childhood was when visiting Aunt Mary and Uncle Alfred, friends of my parents but no real relation, who owned the Fansler store, one of their boys would always take me to the bridge down the road and show me the car in the treetops under water. It was creepy-cool. A 50s model Buick Roadmaster had been lifted into a tree during the tornado, and its' owner just left it there - you could still see it in the late 60s, though I should think not much later than that; the tree would've rotted by then. Wonderful memory you brought back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - horse-riding preacher. You don't get that sort of thing in the North. Also would have loved to have seen the Buick in the tree underwater. Too cool.

      Delete
  12. Benni, this is beautiful. Made me cry! (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you liked it. I am glad it touched you. Thank you!

      Delete