Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Afraid to Go to School: Bullies, part 1


A post or two ago, I made a statement that my high school may have been free of bullying because it was an all-girl school. I was wrong. Flat out. One of my readers pointed this out to me and I thank him because it led me back to consider my own experiences.  I was a school social worker with a Master's Degree who, over the years, worked in more than 15 schools, kindergarten through high school. I was also a student in one school where I experienced bullying and one where I did not. It led me to challenge what I experienced with research about bullying and anti-bullying efforts that are in place in some schools in the US. 

I want to do a post about what I believe to be true about bullying and how we can work to stop it. If it gets too long, I will split it up. I am doing this because I am reminded often how bullying can ruin a child's educational experience and, in fact, a significant part of childhood. For much of the last century, it was thought that not much could be done about bullying. It was poorly understood and measures taken against bullies were ineffective and, sometimes, counter-productive. Kids who "told" on a bully were bullied even more and considered snitches by classmates. Kids who didn't tell suffered silently or avoided school. Some kids dropped out, considered or committed suicide. Often nothing effective was done. Often that is still the case.

Bullying is a phenomenon of power differential, physical aggression and verbal humiliation. In a school system, the culture which encourages or discourages bullying starts with the adults; with those in power. Schools can have a culture of bullying that may start in the administrative offices or the principal's or headmaster's office or in the faculty lounge. If you look at how the adults in a school treat each other, if you look at what they feel is acceptable behavior, you will get a good idea how much bullying goes on by the students. There can be all sorts of reactions to a given incident, such as a teacher losing her lesson plans, and different cultures might define "kind" or "unkind" behavior differently. The more the adult culture values kind interpersonal behavior, the more likely it is that the kid culture can be led in that direction.

It's really not very hard; nasty mean-spirited adults aren't going to work too hard to prevent bullying. They might even enjoy it. I remember being in 7th grade art class when a kid knocked over a paint tray, wrecking his picture. Two of the girls at my table laughed at him; to my dismay the teacher was laughing with them. I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything. I've seen a fair amount of that as an adult working in schools and it is pretty typical. The bully laughs, the adult ignores the child's distress, and the onlookers just stand there.

A lot has been said about the self-esteem of bullies; self-esteem is a vague word and I'm going to try not to use it too much. But many bullies (not all) have relatively high (if not healthy) self-esteem. They think the world of themselves and have contempt for others. Often they are popular, well-off, physically attractive, and gifted in one way or another. They are often members of high status groups in the school. When they want to be, they can be charming as all get out. It depends on who they are dealing with and what they want.

Bullies can charm some teachers in the school setting. These teachers are the ones who say things like "He's not such a bad kid; I rather like him." Or, "She's just a kid with a quirky sense of humor. People take her too seriously." Sometimes one teacher will take a bully under his/her wing. Sometimes she feels she can reach the child where nobody else can and it might be a feather in her cap. If she (or he) is able to form a relationship with the child that causes the kid to change his behavior it is a laudable thing. More often, if the teacher is naive or unaware, she (or he) will be played by the savvy bully, and the victimizing behavior is reinforced. Think of the star athlete protected by the football coach.

Other adults feel helpless and bullied themselves, particularly smaller adults in secondary schools. If the adults feel helpless in the face of the bully, they will be unable to effectively intervene. As complaints against the bully mount, the victims start to be perceived as weak and whiney, as "setting themselves up" for being picked on. That is when bullied kids start to hear the following unhelpful pieces of advice: "Ignore them and they'll stop." "Learn how to stick up for yourself." "They're just trying to get under your skin." "He's teasing you because he likes you."

The facts are that they won't stop if you ignore them, they will try harder. It's good for kids to stick up for themselves, but they need help finding strategies. Bullies are damned good at getting under people's skins. They tease because they enjoy seeing distress.

Schools can find themselves in a situation in which neither the adults nor the children have effective ways of stopping the bullying. In the face of this helplessness, bullying was an ignored phenomenon for a long time, in the US and other countries. Being teased or picked on, or even beaten up, was seen as a normal part of childhood, something that people needed to just deal with. Suck it up. Stiff upper lip. It gets better.

I feel like I have written enough for one session. It really does get better though, because we have learned some real strategies that really do change things. I have seen them and they are documented to have worked. 




15 comments:

  1. Perhaps I 'm being naiive, but I think bullying is much more prevalent than when I was a kid. I think that's because parents in my youth were able to physically punish their children and nobody wanted to go to the principal's office because we'd heard he had an electric paddle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a child I attended a school run by Catholic sisters.I don't remember to have ever noticed, heard, either, about something that might be called bullying. Unfortunately, today's students can't say the same...
    Another interesting write, Benni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My high school was the same, Belita, Catholic, all-girls; I always felt safe and there wasn't even verbal teasing. Before then, I went to public school and there was bullying. This was the late 50's and 60's. I feel very lucky as a number of my friends have talked about being bullied, back years ago. I don't know if it has gotten worse, but it was bad then and bad now.

      Delete
  3. We had a few boys that were troublemakers when I went to school but not really what I would call a bully. If they caused to much of a disturbance they were sent to the hallway or if it was bad enough, to the principal. With my granddaughter's school I feel they don't do enough to students like this. The students that really do bad things are transferred to what they call an alternative school though. Can't wait for the rest of this. Very good write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, a lot of schools are just not doing enough. They are not addressing the problem. I saw some stuff that did work the last few years the last few years I was at my job and I will try to put that in a post here soon.

      Delete
  4. A very well-written and thought-provoking post Benni. You certainly put your finger on some truths about the attitudes of adults (ie teachers). I went to an all-boys secondary school (I think that's the equivalent of your high school, not sure, I get confused by your names), and I was subject to bullying for about three years. The school was an old-fashioned grammar school, the teachers were rather old-fashioned in their approach, too. They had a very cold, uncaring approach to teaching. If you were having problems with a subject and couldn't keep up, tough luck. Several of them were known to commit acts that today would get them fired, such as throwing chalkboard dusters (the old style ones with solid wood handles) at pupils if they were not paying attention. Is it any wonder, in this kind of atmosphere, that bullying was rife? It affected me so badly, I started missing out on school, I just didn't want to face it. As you said in your post, you didn't 'rat' on the bullies, that just made things worse. I eventually escaped it by the fact that my mother remarried, and we moved to a different town. The school there was a much better place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mitchy, I am glad this resonated with you. I wrote from my experience then I went back and fact-checked. Shame on that teacher who threw dusters at the kids. Sadly, some of that kind of thing still goes on today in the southern US states, where it is legal to paddle kids in school, even to the point of leaving bruising. If you can't change the teachers, you can't help the kids.

      Sorry about the confusion with school level names. Just here in the US we have primary, elementary, junior high, middle school, high school and secondary. I know there are different terms in Canada and in the UK. The next time I write I will use ages, that may make it easier. Generally for us, secondary is high school, ages 13-19.

      Delete
  5. Funny you write this blog today. I spent my entire day dealing with a bully and the effects of his taunts and threats, and I expect tomorrow to be much the same. In fact, I see no immediate end in sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent many days doing the same. Often I felt it was hopeless.

      Delete
    2. I can't think it's hopeless, I just don't (on a fundamental level) understand how being cruel to someone can give a kid that adrenaline rush of satisfaction. I see it happen, clear as day -- right in front of me -- and it amazes me every time. Bullying is a high for some kids.

      Delete
    3. I agree about the "high" part for some kids. They enjoy it. You can see it in their eyes.

      I am going to write part 2, which is how two of my schools took action to change the culture of the school and we really decreased the bully factor by a lot. It's just gonna take a bit of work to write it all down, but some parts of it were simple. Not like "magic bullet" simple, but it worked faster and easier than I thought it would.

      Delete
  6. Ah it's still goes on an not much better if you ask me. Kids are often forced by bullies now into clicks You don't belong here. Go there. Then the kid finds they don't really belong. I've seen the vicious hateful cycle. I moved one of my kids to another school and it did solve it. I remember having bully experiences myself in jr high. The teacher just sat there, ignored the situation, and even walked away some times. I made it thru by fighting. Sad but it worked. I'm not proud of that but it was survival mode. Luckily my kids found other alternatives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can be proud of sticking up for yourself. Really. I mean it's not the best solution but... And the teacher just sitting there - that is all too common. What are the kids supposed to do if the teachers just sit there?

      Delete
  7. Bullying does happen with adults in the workplace too. Sad but yes it happens. The whole sink or swim mentality. I've seen employees harassed until they left angrily. It can happen when a boss wants to cover up their mistakes, when a boss has someone else they want for the job, and/or just because they are an adult bully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, it happens often on the job. And these days, most people feel lucky to have a job so what are they going to do - complain and get fired, or take that chance? It is something our society has to deal with.

      Delete