Thursday, September 13, 2012

We cried so when she left us . . .

It like to broke my heart...


I have been told to write. Just do it. So I am doing it. The person who taught me to write was a wonderful woman who abhorred, above everything else, the sentimental. She also had no patience for the cliché or unnecessary punctuation. And yet, though her strong red script adorned my papers, I came to love her, because there was no meanness in how she corrected us, or at least I felt there was not.

She wasn't my favorite teacher, that honor went to Patricia Nemec, for whom I have searched in numerous data banks, websites, social networking sites and so forth. Nemec is a very common name. Miss (there were no Ms.'s at my all-girl Catholic school) Nemec came up from Texas driving a blue 1964 Mustang. We were 15, she might have been 21. She taught us history with the wit of Molly Ivins and the steely eyes of Ann Richards. Fifth hour American History, junior year, is one of my fondest memories.

The last week of school we learned, I forget how, that Miss Nemec of Texas was not going to be at our school anymore. She hadn't done anything wrong, it was just one of those things that happen and students aren't let in on adult decisions. Anyway, she was leaving. We wanted to do something, Mary and Mary and Molly and Ruby and I. It is really not much to tell. Someone left campus at lunch time and bought (what else) a dozen yellow roses and when she came in on the last day we sang "The Yellow Rose of Texas" and gave her the flowers. Really, we were all the same age, girls in pastel colored uniforms and a young teacher who drove a blue Mustang. We cried.

She wrote us all a letter or two and that was it. I never saw her again.

I saw my English teacher many more times and some of the nuns. The school was a very nurturing place, maybe unusual for an all-girl Catholic high school, but the rich girls were boarding students (I was not one) and maybe they realized we all needed some tenderness in our lives. I have my yearbooks; I should scan pictures in. The grounds of the school were the old Studebaker estate. I got to go there because my parents wanted me to be sheltered from the cultural changes of the 60's and they did not like the other Catholic high school which was run by the diocese. It was a good place. Life changing you might say.

Ok, I have written, as I was told to. I hope you like it. I will write more, I promise.

18 comments:

  1. Yay.

    OMG there is a grammar error and the football game is about to start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. People come along in our lives and they change the way we look at life. I am glad you had Miss Nemec for awhile. And I am casting my vote that you write more. You are a good writer:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sang all the way through this post... So did you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I did. And look, I learned to use the "reply function".

      Delete
  4. Ann Richards, i think, but I am not sure.

    I hope you write more about that school....

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oops ! did not mean to post that twice ! I have a bunch of relatives with the last name "Richardson" and so a greater affinity to that name than I once did....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for writing. There's a saying that 'schooldays are the best days of your lives'. My school years were not a happy time, due to bullying, but yours seem to be the complete opposite. A happy, joyous time :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bullies were another reason I was sent to this school. It would be the subject of another blog whether single-gender education can help cut down on bullying. Certainly Sister Mary Augustine did.

      Delete
    2. I went to a single-gender secondary school, and that's where I experienced the bullying, so for me I would say no, it doesn't cut it down.

      Delete
    3. Your school probably didn't have Sister Mary Augustine.

      On a serious note, I have seen girls be vicious to girls and boys to boys, etc., so single-gender may be only one part of the equation. And maybe not a factor at all. So many people, including me, have had such horrible experiences with bullying that I may do a blog about it.

      Delete
  8. Got me wondering now whatever happened to Miss Nemec and her blue Mustang.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed your post very much. You are so lucky to have such wonderful memories from your school. I still remember my favourite teacher too, Mrs. Parker. I did get to see her after I finished high school and university, but we lived in a very small community from which I'm one of the few who have left.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did enjoy reading your post from the first to the last word of it. Your words flow so naturally that I, as a reader, had the illusion that I was together with you at that school. Sad, you have not heard anymore about that lady...

    ReplyDelete