Monday, September 3, 2012

Four years ago


My mother-in-law was in the hospital and she wanted to hear Barack Obama's acceptance speech. She was excited about it all day and made me promise I would not let her go to sleep. But in the end the pain and morphine got to her and she fell asleep. 

Tom and I tried to tape it for her so she could watch it the next day but we couldn't get the DVD set up in time. She was too tired the next day anyway. She asked if he was well received and I said that he was. She smiled. She knew she didn't have much longer. It was August 28th I think.  

6 comments:

  1. My mother died in August too. She is missed by all my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never met her, but I know from you that she was a great woman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. she must have been a very caring person as well as a very wise lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She worked with the (I think) Student Non-violence Coordinating Committee in Detroit. It mattered a lot to her that Obama had been nominated. In some ways she was naive about political realities, but she had traveled in the segregated south. She said "I never thought I'd live to see the day a black man would be president. I hope I do." I lied to her and said she would. But she didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice photo of beautiful gladiolus to illustrate your sweet words.... Your mother-in-las must have been a very interesting lady...

    ReplyDelete